I pride myself on my reliability, punctuality and ability to work to a deadline. I am a quick learner, with the willingness to adopt new skills and ideas which I then apply effectively in set tasks. Through communicating effectively within a team, I help create a productive working environment. I consider myself calm under pressure with the ability to think quickly, and I will happily go the extra mile to improve the final product. I am able to focus entirely on a task and perform it to a high standard. I deal with complex material by breaking it down and approaching it in an organised manner.
2007 – 2012 – The North Halifax Grammar School
11 GCSEs A*-A
2012 – 2014 – The North Halifax Grammar School Sixth Form College
4 A levels
- A Media Studies
- B English Language & Geography
- C History
AS Level – C Critical Thinking
2014 – Present – Studying Multimedia Journalism at the University of Salford Year 3
Currently taking NCTJ extra qualification with passes in Essential Media Law, Court Reporting and Reporting Government
Nov 2016 – Lancashire County Cricket Club media comms
- Online news writing and generating story ideas
- Generating PR strategies as part of a team
- Sub-editing and checking copy
- General admin and planning
Sep 2015 – present – Entertainment reporter for Quays News
- Producing online news stories
- Reviewing gigs and turning around copy quickly
Feb 2015 – Sept 2016 – Freelance journalist at The News Hub
- Writing online content in news and sport
- Editorial freedom over stories
- Sharing stories to a wide audience using a wide range of social media sites
Sept 2012 – Apr 2014 – Company secretary and sales team member as part of the Young Enterprise Scheme
June 2013 – Assistant at St Malachy’s Primary School, teaching in literacy classes
- Reliability – perform set tasks with consistency for example performing quick turnarounds when asked to write articles
- Teamwork – always contribute within a team and enjoy leadership. Ran a small business in the Young Enterprise scheme and have played in, and captained sports teams.
- Communication skills with both adults and young people.
- Attention to detail – sub-editing and proof reading skills learnt through studying journalism
- Business acumen – I have taken part in Young Enterprise where I was the company secretary and part of the sales team which has given me business knowledge and the resources to practice my skills successfully.
- Excellent English skills and the ability to write for a range of audiences and purposes, gained through studying Journalism at University.
- Knowledge of blogging platforms including WordPress, Blogger and Storify as well as social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Google +, LinkedIn and Reddit.
- I can use video cameras, voice recorders and editing software to create videos and interview subjects. Experience of using Sony Vegas and Avid Media Producer.
- Experience in page design using Adobe InDesign
Hobbies and Interests
I have a keen interest in sport and the history of sport. I play cricket at village club as well as snooker, football, squash and darts. I regularly attend a gym and enjoy pushing myself physically as well as learning about fitness and health. I’m naturally creative and I try my hand at writing, filming and editing short videos. I’m a fan of stand-up comedy and regularly attend gigs, reviewing these for different news outlets including my blog.